31 May 2009

Our Final Day at Pey Au Bruc




Part 1
It’s pretty early on Thursday morning and I’m up early, as is usual. Like many of our mornings here, there is coastal fog swirling around the sky. As most of you are painfully aware from my non-stop rants and raves about the weather, today turned out to be no different. The wet and grey muck hangs overhead for a bit and then, boom, it’s gone and replaced by perfect blue skies and sunshine.
Over these few mornings I’ve developed a little routine: walk outside and head down the driveway to the large wooden gates and unlock them from my reverse duties the night before. I’m guessing that we could have left the gates opened, unlocked and the house, pretty much the same, without any worries. But, it gave me a sense of joy to think that I was closing things up for safe sleeping, each night. My next (daily) task was to grab the car keys and head to the boulangerie (baker) at the center of Vendays-Montalivet to buy fresh bread for the day. Two of the perfect and crusty baguettes were (usually) enough for breakfast and lunch/dinner. By now, the woman who sells them recognizes me and asks something about our vacation, since my visit the day before.
Most days, I then drive back to the house, make myself some really good strong coffee and wait for everyone else to wake up. Today was a “sleep in as late as you want” day (Morgan managed to stay in bed until just after noon). Breakfast talk centers on what to do today. Heading toward the coast to check out an ancient lighthouse seemed to get a mostly unanimous vote.

Here are some random photos from our time in the French Countryside
From one of our great dinners
The gates leading into the property (which I locked nightly)
Just me in, at the front door

No comments: