10 June 2009

A Parent....





Most of you know I've turned 50 this year. I continue to feel blessed and grateful for so much in my life; family, friends, France (thank you, again, Lepplas!!!!) and so much more. Reconnecting with people from my high school years has been a big boost and helps me to remember where I've come from and gives me a great chance to reflect on everything that has been part of this amazing journey.

This year marks another milestone for me: I'm getting my first dog. A birthday gift from my friend David Madison, my dad and my friend Nick....

On my way back to Palm Springs, this past Sunday, I stopped off to see Sally Rosenthal and her great family to look at the new litter of English Cocker puppies, born last month. Ginny, the mother, gave birth to an unblievable 8 babies. One didn't make it, so she's been very busy taking great care of the remaining 7 little ones. Before we sat down to a delicious lunch (thanks to Sally's husband Doug) I got to visit the puppies - which, as you can see, do look more like hamsters, right now, than the gorgeous English Cockers they will grow into. I was drawn to one of the puppies, just for his independent spirit, but it's too early to determine which will be going to pet homes and which are destined for masters who want to take on the rigors of raising a show dog.

I'm at the top of the list to pick from the pet dogs. This determination is made by a combination of assessments, mostly to determine if there are any medical predispositions that would make the dog ineligeble for entry into dog shows. More photos during my next visit, at the beginning of July, when I'll get to see the puppies with more fully developed personalities, and possibly pick my puppy out......Mid-August is when I officially will become a PARENT!!!!!!

The photos are:

  • The little ones, all huddled together, while mom takes a break from the box.....
  • Me with three of the adult cockers that are part of the household, including the mother of the puppies, Ginny, at the left, in the photo, on the couch, at Sally and Doug's house
  • Me falling striking a pose with one of the adult dogs - a total love of a dog....
  • Demi-tasse, an 8 month old female, who is so incredibly beautiful (and she knows it).......

No comments: