30 August 2009

What a Dinner...





Life has been pretty full, as anyone could imagine, with MUGGS in it. He's growing like I can't believe and amazes me with each new day and situation. We switched vets, to Dr. Steven Salk, and had an initial visit this past week - and I'm thrilled. His staff, his facility, and the way he got along with MUGGS was just perfect.

Last night I had one of those rare evenings: someone cooked for me!!!! Not just me, actually. A new friend, Jim, who I met though David Madison, had been promising that I'd get an invite when his LA friend, Peter, came to town to cook one of his extraordinary Chinese dinners. Jim is one of these rare individuals - very kind, caring, thoughtful, and so true to his words and promises. He's been a constant source of help and encouragement with MUGGS....having been the proud dad of a few dogs, in his day. I say dogs, but his tasted in puppies lands in the nearly human size end of the dog spectrum. He's the proud papa of two beautiful, loving and, of course, enormous Newfoundlands: GUS and LILLY.

David came by with Gryffin, last night, to pick MUGGS and me up for the much anticipated dinner, over at Jims. Peter was finally in town and we were heading over to his house, not far from my place, to have an evening of friends, fun, wine and incredible food; dogs invited!!! How great is that? It was my first visit to Jim's house, which is beautiful. Like an overly nervous parent, as soon as we arrived, I immediately walked around to every open bedroom door and shut them. Puppy piddling, was not how I wanted to be remembered after my first invite to Jim's.

MUGGS was in heaven - all this new territory to explore and new people and dog friends. Everyone had a great time. Nibbly bits and some drinks to start with.....then the cooking of the savory courses started. Jim had already been busy with desserts - this guy knows how to bake. I wish that I'd gotten a photo of his fig tart with citrus mascarpone all set in an incredible crust: perfectly flaky, and flavored with rosemary (yup - what a combination!!!!) and a kiss of cornmeal. There were madeleines, orange custard ice cream, and molten chocolate cakes - all coming up, for dessert.

The main event started with home made BBQ pork in buns with cognac hoisin and scallions - yum!!!! A nice crisp white wine was the perfect foil to the salty sweet of the buns.

Next was rice with an incredible stir fry beef, followed by the MOST AMAZING fresh Chinese noodle stir fry with duck and chicken and the most incredible array of perfectly cut and cooked vegetables and spices.

I could have started with dessert and stopped there - but the savory courses were really amazing.....So, I had plenty of both. I was stuffed - and MUGGS was tuckered out. We both slept a full 8 hours last night - a gift to both MUGGS and ME.

Here are some pictures of the evening:

  • Jim and Peter with the noodles
  • Muggs taking a break with Lilly - talk about the odd couple!!!
  • The dinner table - before we attacked!!!
  • The first course

No comments: